Saturday, January 7, 2012

recovery running with heavy legs

1/6/12     Maybe because I put my recovery run off until 11:00 at night, maybe because I was running all by my lonesome, or maybe because I overdressed for the 35 degree January night, whatever the case may be the 8 miles of ground covered were the most difficult in week one's training. My iPod shuffle didn't keep me nearly as motivated as it did on the track the night before, but the track "My Racing Thoughts" by Jack's Mannequin made me think long and hard about racing a 5K this Sunday in East Hartford before work just to get my under-30-minutes seed card for the 2012 Manchester Road Race out of the way early. I'm pretty sure the song's lyrics have nothing to do with road racing, but that's how my brain interprets them.
See what you think...

     So......while I'm pretty confident I could run around 17:45 right now for a 5K, the best decision I could make this early on in my training is to skip the 5K on Sunday, log a couple of long runs this weekend instead, and earn my under-30 seed card in a few months when I run my 1/2 marathon warm up race in a 1:25 or better. Can't believe I'm actually mature enough to make a decision like that on my own. Maybe there is still hope for me.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Maturity is finally settling in at 36 years old? Don't worry, it won't last. That's a great song, never heard it before. I still don't understand how you can run so late at night--do you get to sleep in in the morning? I love that you mentioned the overdressing. The weather has warmed up again here, of course--Florida's cold spells don't normally last for long. I did well last week with dressing just right for my 44 and 34 degree runs, but then overdressed Friday night when it was 55. I thought it would cool down and I would need long sleeves, but it didn't and I got really warm.

    I hope someday I can get back to CT for the Manchester Road Race. Haven't done it since high school, and didn't consider myself a "runner" then, even though I considered myself an athlete.

    ReplyDelete