Sunday, January 15, 2012

God is running, not watching football


1/14/12     My alarm went off at 4am for the first time in a couple months, and if it weren’t for the fact that Matt would be at my house to run in about an hour, I would have turned it off and went back to sleep. Having training partners that are crazy enough to meet up that early in the morning for a run is motivation enough to get out of a warm bed and dressed to run in the windy teen temps. On tap was an 8-mile run consisting of a 2-mile warm-up, 5 miles at marathon pace, and ending with a mile warm-down. I still felt a bit sore and achy from last week’s eight-day-in-a-row running streak that culminated in late Thursday night track work. I was glad we were running at Matt’s marathon pace and not mine. Still, it took all I had just to keep on keepin’ on.
"Dear God, hope you get the letter & I pray
you can make it better down here..." XTC
     Not until the run was finally finished did I remember why I enjoyed running so much in the early morning hours. Sure, the absence of cars from the roads and lack of background noise is great and allows for a calm, peaceful serenity rarely found anywhere else at any other time. But most of all, being done with the day’s run that early meant unfettered time with the family during the day, and the ability to down a few brews while watching the Patriots dominate Tebow and the Broncos in divine fashion. (Get it, devine…Tebow…) It was great not having to watch that overrated fool bow gracefully on one knee, and hopefully by the end of the game he knew that god doesn’t care about, nor watch, football. Maybe he’s a distance runner, out checking on all his creations.
     Tebow can now add "Dear God" by XTC to his gameday iPod mix.

1 comment: