Monday, January 9, 2012

Shameless Motivation: Fiona runs the mile

1/8/12     As an athlete, one would think that watching the Broncos knock the Steelers out of the playoffs (of the two teams, the one I’d rather not have my Patriots play next weekend) would be more motivation for a late-night run than watching the season two premiere of Shameless on Showtime. Nope, not for me last night. Watching the Broncos beat Ben Worthlessberger’s brood of buffoons on the first play in overtime last night made me jump into the air cheering and clapping, but even more exciting were the final minutes of the Shameless premiere when Fiona walked out onto a cinder track to try and run a sub-5:35 mile.
      If you haven’t seen Shameless yet: 1) It has absolutely nothing to do with running, and 2) I highly recommend getting caught up by watching season one and then becoming a loyal viewer. Other than Dexter, a series from the same cable network, Shameless is hands-down the best hour of television every week and coincidentally airs the same day my training plan calls for the longest run of the week. While I wish I could use that for motivation every Sunday my schedule doesn’t allow for my run to happen until after dark, I know that running was only used metaphorically at the end of this episode and most likely won’t be a reoccurring theme.
     Still, to see Fiona (played by the very talented, 25-year-old Emmy Rossum) lace up her old adidas racing spikes and toe the starting line just to prove to herself she can still do it made my heart start racing in anticipation of my easy 8-miler later that night. Being a miler myself in high school and college made that part of the episode even more meaningful and inspirational for me while I lay sprawled out on the floor, feeling like a school boy again. Thanks Fiona.
      (To watch the season two premiere of Shameless for free you can follow the link posted below or see the entry above this one. Or if you just want to see the scene on the cinder track that ended the episode, fast forward to the 51:00 minute mark by dragging the timeline button at the bottom towards the end of the show. Enjoy!)
Shameless: Season 2, Episode 1

No comments:

Post a Comment