Tuesday, January 3, 2012

let the training begin...


1/2/12     Today, January 2nd, 2012, is the 1st official training day of the 18-week Hal Higdon program that I will be following to prepare myself, in mind and body, for marathon #2 in New Jersey on the first Sunday in May. It's the same program that helped me earn a 3:08 finish on October 15th at the ING Hartford Marathon, qualifying me for the Boston Marathon in 2013. I'm hoping that the training comes a bit easier and more fluid the second time around.
     Tonight's run was a marvelous 8-mile loop through Glastonbury and Bolton on Birch Mountain Road, Volpi Road (ran past the house my uncle Mickey and cousins Than and Justin lived in while I tried to grow up and spent lots of time getting into trouble at, ahhhh the memories) down the roller coaster known as Carter Street and then back up Birch Mountain to my friend Paul's house where we started.
     It was great running with two other runners tonight as I often find strength in numbers when it comes to training runs. And although the downhills seemed to be a bit too swift, I'm sure it's mainly due to the fact that Paul is a few inches taller than me and Matt S. (we're both around 5'10") and both his stride and gait carry him a bit farther with each step than ours do. I was glad when Matt asked Paul about Canadian politics to get him talking, hoping it would slow us down a little since tomorrow's workout will be hill repeats. The stars were out in full force, the hills felt easy and the legs felt fresh after the run. A big shout-out goes to Paul and Matt for making this first run on the road to New Jersey.
     (In case anyone who reads this is wondering, if anyone is reading this, the picture in the background is one that I took on a run in the summer from the top of Case Mountain at sunset. It always reminds me that being a runner sometimes makes it possible to get to places most others can't. One of the many reasons why runners kick ass.)

No comments:

Post a Comment