Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rest is a good thing

1/18/12     My body felt more rested and relaxed early Wednesday morning upon waking from a solid seven hours of much-needed sleep. So much better than it had the night before when I kept dozing off while singing to my son and then resting on the couch. Not having to hit the snooze on my alarm, I quickly got dressed and set out on a morning run to cover the miles I had skipped last night. While I was running I thought of something that a coworker and fellow runner had said to me yesterday, “It’s okay to take an extra day off now and then when you’re feeling tired.”
     Since my body felt so much better running on that rest, I finally let myself agree with what she told me and decided to run over to the MHS track and make sure it was clean and safe for our workout the following night. I was happy to find the track in perfect shape, so I ran an extra mile or so to get in 6 miles for the morning. That way I wouldn’t have to force myself to run again later that night just to make up mileage. And it was a good thing I ran some laps on the track in the morning because after landing on my foot in an awkward position at work, I wouldn’t end up getting in another run later at night.
     The minor foot pain I was feeling bothered me less than it normally would because of an email I received earlier in the day containing the feature story about the marathon I’m training for in May; specifically the fundraising portion that will benefit Hebrew Health Care in West Hartford. If you’re interested in reading the story, you can click on the link that is posted below. You'll need to then scroll down to the bottom of the page that opens to read the story. Hold down the <shift> key while clicking on the link to open it in a new window.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=d74htedab&v=001bHw_LhcjpQrCrDBtS3ZhWaETBZ-ALyv8nmsnefbdH0XrV-kemWgJIMF2VwTi9VR_47jmrFbtMqUh8EArMJNnQhGwomYz1SUaXdRO4XCAqeBqYvT7ayGH5U3IxapkH8h9UJuAosJDePA%3D

No comments:

Post a Comment